Like every year, we’re interested in the pros’ jerseys and their designs! But to be honest, we’re a little disappointed not to see more novelty and freshness in the jerseys for the 2023 Tour de France. It’s the biggest race in the world, and all the teams should be flamboyant! Even if that means getting fined, Mario Cipollini style! Great Mario!
A quick reminder of the rules: teams are only allowed to change their design once during the season, on pain of fines or a ban from taking part under the UCI rules. The UCI must also be notified! Well done to the Alpecin Deceuninck team for turning things around and creating a collector’s kit for the rest day in tribute to Poupon, magnificently worn by his grandson MVDP! It’s a magnificent publicity stunt by the team of the current leader of the Tour de France green jersey. This collection worn by the riders will be autographed and auctioned off for charity! A great initiative!
It’s true that it’s regrettable that there haven’t been more changes to the most talked-about race in the world. Teams are allowed one design change per season, so let’s take a look at the 6 most beautiful jerseys that Geoffroy Lequatre has ranked in order of creativity and technicality!
Top 5 jersey designs at the Tour de France :
1. Astana : A creative combination of jersey and bike. A fantastic creation that will appeal to all cycling enthusiasts. Astana really stands out in this Tour de France, just like EF did in the Giro.
2. EF : A safe bet with designs that have been on trend for a number of years with their textile partner Rapha. Pink and fun! What’s more, their partner Cannondale is also having fun with their bike paintwork creations. Their jersey is pink and too close to the graphic charter of the Giro leader’s jersey, so their textile partner has created a special Giro collection!
3. Movistar : A fresh design with a kit called “Iceberg” by their equipment supplier Gobik. Ideal for the heatwave, and for a caliente Spanish team, it creates an interesting contrast with a beautiful design, with a blue gradient. A cool cold kit!
4. FDJ : Clean, crisp and in support of France 🇫🇷. The COCORICO style
5. UAE : A classic, clean style in black and white, highly visible in the peloton and seen from a helicopter. Their jersey is technically interesting, using a fabric with 3D lined sleeves to create a vortex and therefore optimum aerodynamics. They are the only team to use this combination of materials, which was previously used by ASO’s former partner, Le Coq Sportif, for its leader’s jerseys and time trial suits.
6. LIDL TREK : The JOKER ! Or rather, the harlequin! A sixth design, the new Harlequin jersey from Lidl Trek. This one won’t go unnoticed with its distinctive Lidl design! What’s more, Trek stands out thanks to its creative bikes and paintwork. What do you think? Do you like this design?
Le maillot vert décrié :
The historic green jersey has evolved over time and now sports a strange dark green hue, in keeping with Skoda’s branding. It is no longer as recognisable in the peloton, and even Wout Van Aert is amused to say that he is disinterested in the green jersey because of its design! Finally, Bora Hansgrohe created a collector’s jersey to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Tour, but its colour was deemed too similar to that of the new green jersey, forcing the German team to revert to its original jersey. This was a major blow to the communications strategy of their textile partner.
A dominance of blue in the 2023 Tour de France peloton: this year’s peloton is dominated by the colour blue! Blue is undeniably one of the most popular colours, particularly with creative people. Unlike other colours, blue is seen as a neutral and positive colour: a perfect choice for communicating with your audience. Perceived as reliable, blue is the most popular colour for professional use: logos, brand identities, communication campaigns, etc. Blue is a popular choice with the general public, and in sport it can be used to symbolise success, knowledge, yc and stability! And to win you need to be stable on your bike!
Alpecin, Quickstep, Jayco, FDJ, Movistar, Israel, Astana, DSM, INEOS grenadier, tous on opté pour une tendance bleu !
Comments on certain teams:
– Intermarché Wanty Gobert: It’s a shame about the change of jersey for the Tour, but there was a good design that mixed all the sponsors and the fluorescent yellow was sometimes difficult to use to be elegant and design.!
– Jumbo VISMA: Can do better! compared to their Kit 2022! there’s no photo! 🙂 and this 2022 jersey has won a lot ! Let’s wait and see how the Tour ends!
– Cofidis : A little anecdote! Their white jersey with the Cofidis lettering in black doesn’t stand out as well as the initial version at the start of the year with the white Cofidis lettering!